Sunday 27 July 2014

And Call Me in the Evening book review



My Personal Impression

When I saw the sequel was outside, I was quite excited because I had quite fond memories of the first novel in the series, And Call Me each morning. For various reasons I described in my own recent review, the first novel didn't work well for me on re-read as it did back in 2010. I am always a bit nervous when a novel I've enjoyed gets a sequel - Can it live up to the prior experience? Unfortunately in this instance, it supplied more of the same rather than anything overall and new, it ended up being a disappointment.
 

Jet Lag

The difficulty for me through the book, was it felt more like it'd been maybe one year since the first book, not five. Five years into a relationship I might have expected most of Eli and the problems Zane experience and been dealt with.



 

Little look on the plot 


Both Eli and Zane became ill were air-lifted out, and when working in Brazil, the result of drinking bad water and repatriated to Chicago. Zane is back on the job and has mostly recovered, Eli is a little unstable and it appears Immaculate Grace are unlikely to find him work when he's prepared. Eli has had of going overseas to practice enough - he desires to remain home. But he also wants to be with Zane and he decides he'll continue to follow Zane wherever he'll go because that's what is most important to him. Rather than, you know, have a dialogue about it.

Taye and Richie are having some problems also - I found these quite vague and finally unsatisfying.

Out of the blue, Marybeth (Eli's ex-wife) starts texting him and needs to meet up. Eli finally Zane sees holly keeps ignoring the texts and and contradiction ensues. I didn't really comprehend this. I didn't get it was a secret, why Eli did not only call the girl and find out what was what. The texts what, coming seemingly from nowhere, seemed curiously familiar and kind of sexual and there was no set up or the previous novel because of this to be thus.

No comments:

Post a Comment